Jobs, Auditions & Opportunities

Open Online Theatre Programme

Open Online Theatre (OOT) is a specialised platform for the performing arts, offering artists training in how to create hybrid work for live streamed and live audiences and monetise the process.

The OOT training programme combines creative online/physical laboratories with bespoke mentoring and performance opportunities to live-stream work interactively.

6 creative practitioners and facilitators in online performance with many years of experience lead the programme, which will encourage a new way of working for a leading cohort of emerging/mid-career artists.

Over the 12 week programme each participant will have access to bespoke mentoring and training by specialists in:

  • Sensography – how to choreograph/improvise for 4 live-streaming cameras
  • How to film and edit the work as it goes out
  • How to co-create and interact with audiences live
  • How to use social media to engage audiences
  • Business advice to gain a sustainable career
  • Monetisation models – exploring how to monetise R&D and performance via viewership and audience co-creation.

Self-promotion tools covered:

  • Social media
  • Co-creation
  • Workshops
  • Promo copy

We will encourage OOT artists to develop the self-promotional skills necessary for an independent career, via: the delivery of co-creation sessions where they practice engaging audiences to camera, social media workshops, and promoting and running monetised online workshops on the OOT Platform. All this will contribute to a personal social media strategy.

Other benefits for participants:

  • Up to 10 hours of one-to-one mentorship, taken flexibly.
  • Host monetised workshops and cocreation sessions on the Open Online Theatre platform.
  • Up to 180 mins of facilitated access to OOT streaming platform for technical rehearsals, taken flexibly. E.g 9 x 20 min sessions , 6 x 30 min sessions or 3 x 1 hour sessions.
  • Increase your online audience.
  • Monetise your performances on Open Online Theatre and receive 60% -69% of revenue. (31%- 40% goes towards website administration costs)

Benefits of participation in the OOT Festival:

  • Access to programmers and curators invited to the festival.
  • Audience attendance equivalent to touring 6 to 8 venues as part of a triple bill
  • High quality documentation of your work filmed in a 4-camera setup.
  • Work available as monetised watch-on demand on the OOT Platform.

 Who can apply?

  • We are open to solo artists and artistic directors of companies from the performing arts such as dance, theatre, circus arts, comedy, music and live art.
  • Artists wishing to explore how to adapt their artistic practice for live streaming.
  • Self-producing artists or artists who want to shape their own artistic practice, to control their vision and champion their own work.

What we expect from the artist cohort.

The programme will take the form of classes and mentorship.

  • You will need to commit to 12 contact days over the initial 12 weeks
  • Come with an artistic idea or performance project which you would like to shape into a new live streamed work.
  • Participants will need a laptop/desktop computer, wifi access and a filming device.
  • IJAD is subsidising 90% of the costs of this programme per artist, the other 10% is to be covered either by the artist or their supporting organisations. This equates to £550 course fee.
  • Participation in OOT Festival costs an extra £150 which includes 4 additional weeks of mentored R&D

The course structure breakdown is as follows:

  • 6 days of intensive course modules in week one and two.
  • 8 weeks reflection and R&D of your work. This is self-guided and flexible with mentors on hand as required.
  • 2 days in-person cohort meet-up at the midway point of the course. This is an opportunity to collaborate, share ideas, test work-in-progress and iron out any issues.
  • A further 4 weeks’ reflection, practise and R&D of your work. This is self-guided and flexible with mentors on hand as required.
  • For those participating in the festival there is an additional 4 weeks mentored R&D followed by the 3 day festival.

We encourage all participants to spend the first two weeks digesting and reflecting on the course learning and on their practice, during which time the team will be available to offer support. Participants can be flexible around the amount of time they spend exploring their artistic idea.

To apply please complete this simple google form here:

https://bit.ly/3yc98G9

Please also submit an anonymous equal opportunities form by the deadline Sunday 22 August 2021 at midday. We will wright to you with the outcome of the application on the 6th of September.